It’s time for your daily round of Wordle hints, expertly crafted to help you keep your streak going even on the toughest of days.
You might think that you don’t need any clues for Wordle today, but remember: failure in this game is only ever six guesses away.
Below, you’ll find a selection of Wordle hints to guide you in the right direction. You don’t have to use them all, but there are five in total should you need them, covering vowels, starting letter, ending letter and more. And if you don’t have time to play at all, you can see the answer, too.
Want more word-based fun? My Quordle today page contains hints and answers for that game, which remains the best of all the main Wordle alternatives.
SPOILER WARNING: Wordle hints and today’s answer are below, so don’t read on if you don’t want to see them.
Wordle hints (game #828) – clue #1 – Vowels
How many vowels does today’s Wordle have?
• Wordle today has a vowel in one place*.
* Note that by vowel we mean the five standard vowels (A, E, I, O, U), not Y (which is sometimes counted as a vowel too).
Wordle hints (game #828) – clue #2 – first letter
What letter does today’s Wordle begin with?
• The first letter in today’s Wordle answer is R.
R is a surprisingly uncommon starting letter. Despite ranking third overall in Wordle, it’s merely the 11th most likely to begin an answer.
Wordle hints (game #828) – clue #3 – repeated letters
Does today’s Wordle have any repeated letters?
• There are no repeated letters in today’s Wordle.
Repeated letters are quite common in the game, with 748 of the 2,309 Wordle answers containing one. However, it’s still more likely that a Wordle doesn’t have one.
Wordle hints (game #828) – clue #4 – ending letter
What letter does today’s Wordle end with?
• The last letter in today’s Wordle is Y.
Y is the second most common ending letter in the game, behind only E. In total, 364 Wordle answers end with a Y.
Wordle hints (game #828) – clue #5 – last chance
Still looking for more Wordle hints today? Here’s an extra one for game #828.
- Today’s Wordle answer is a pugilist Oscar winner.
If you just want to know today’s Wordle answer now, simply scroll down – but I’d always recommend trying to solve it on your own first. We’ve got lots of Wordle tips and tricks to help you, including a guide to the best Wordle start words.
If you don’t want to know today’s answer then DO NOT SCROLL ANY FURTHER BECAUSE IT IS PRINTED BELOW. So don’t say you weren’t warned!
Today’s Wordle answer (game #828)
Today’s Wordle answer (game #828) is… ROCKY.
Has there been another Wordle which has so readily suggested a film rather than a word? There have been plenty that would have been a title if they had a ‘THE’ before it (think JOKER, game #675, MUMMY, game #491, or STING, #471), but single-word movies, less so. I’m sure there are some, but they don’t spring readily to mind in the way that ROCKY does.
Anyway, today’s game is another rather easy opponent for players to send crashing to the canvas: WordleBot says it has an average score of 3.7, making it the fifth game in a row to have been well below the 4.0 mark.
As always, though, a lot will have depended on your opening guess. Some of the best Wordle starting words – if you started with CRANE you had only 13 remaining possible answers, while TRACE (25), CRATE (15), CARTE (12), CARET (12) and CRONE (9) were all excellent too. REACT left just a couple of answers!
However, if you began with SLATE (309), SLANT (531), LEAST (309) or a bunch of other words, you’ll have been in a potentially tough fight. My pick, STARE, left 128 possibles, for instance.
Fortunately, I got in a lucky punch with my second guess, CRONY. That gave me a yellow C, yellow O and green Y to add to the still-yellow R and cut those possibles down from 128 to 1 immediately. It didn’t take me long to spot ROCKY and score my knockout 3/6.
How did you do today? Send me an email and let me know.
Yesterday’s Wordle hints (game #827)
In a different time zone where it’s still Sunday? Don’t worry – I can give you some clues for Wordle #827, too.
- Wordle yesterday had a vowel in one place.
- The first letter in yesterday’s Wordle answer was R.
- There were no repeated letters in yesterday’s Wordle.
- The last letter in yesterday’s Wordle was T.
- Yesterday’s Wordle answer is not wrong.
Yesterday’s Wordle answer (game #826)
Yesterday’s Wordle answer (game #827) was… RIGHT.
It’s now a full week since we had a remotely difficult Wordle, with today’s game earning an average score of 3.6, according to WordleBot. You’d have to go back to FRANK last Monday for anything above 4.0 (that was 4.3), although Wednesday’s SNARE did just reach the 4.0 mark itself.
RIGHT is one of those words that looks like it should be trickier; neither H or G are particularly common (they’re the 14th and 17th most common letters in the game) and even the vowel is the fourth least likely to appear. Oh, and R is only the 11th most common starting letter; at least T is a regular visitor to the final spot (third behind E and Y).
What’s more, very few of the best Wordle starting words made much headway in narrowing down the options. SLATE (102) and CRANE (103) were particularly unlucky, and the likes of TRACE (38), CRATE (39) and my pick, STARE (48) were not that much better. REACT – which left just three options – was the only one of the top 20 to be really successful.
As far as my game went, I had a yellow R and yellow T after my first guess, so my first instinct was to play the T at the end of my second guess; it’s by far the most likely place for it to appear. However, of the words I’d written down – of which there were about 30 – it appeared at the start more often. For instance, I had TORCH, TRUTH, TRUCK, TRICK, THROW, THROB, TRUMP, TRUNK, TROUT, TUTOR and TROLL. I had a fair few that ended in T, too – PRINT, DRIFT, GRIFT, FRONT, FRUIT and BURNT – but ultimately decided to go with the start option.
There were also a bunch of words that ended TH, such as FROTH, BROTH, MIRTH, GIRTH, FORTH and NORTH, so I decided to also include an H. I needed a vowel, so put in O and U. The addition of the generally common C gave me TOUCH as my second guess. It couldn’t have been correct, but I was happy that it covered a lot of ground.
And indeed it did. Though it only added an H into the mix, and didn’t change the color of the T, it left just one more answer. It took me a little while to find it – somehow, RIGHT hadn’t been among the answer list I’d initially drawn up – but when I spotted it I was fairly certain it would be the answer. That proved to be the case and I scored a satisfactory 3/6.
Wordle answers: The past 50
I’ve been playing Wordle every day for more than a year now and have tracked all of the previous answers so I can help you improve your game. Here are the last 50 solutions starting with yesterday’s answer, or check out my past Wordle answers page for the full list.
- Wordle #827, Sunday 24 September: RIGHT
- Wordle #826, Saturday 23 September: CAROL
- Wordle #825, Friday 22 September: BRUSH
- Wordle #824, Thursday 21 September: STONE
- Wordle #823, Wednesday 20 September: SNARE
- Wordle #822, Tuesday 19 September: CLOSE
- Wordle #821, Monday 18 September: FRANK
- Wordle #820, Sunday 17 September: MUSIC
- Wordle #819, Saturday 16 September: ANGEL
- Wordle #818, Friday 15 September: EXERT
- Wordle #817, Thursday 14 September: RAYON
- Wordle #816, Wednesday 13 September: CLEAR
- Wordle #815, Tuesday 12 September: WHISK
- Wordle #814, Monday 11 September: OLDER
- Wordle #813, Sunday 10 September: QUOTE
- Wordle #812, Saturday 9 September: LUCKY
- Wordle #811, Friday 8 September: ROUSE
- Wordle #810, Thursday 7 September: DWELL
- Wordle #809, Wednesday 6 September: GNASH
- Wordle #808, Tuesday 5 September: BIRCH
- Wordle #807, Monday 4 September: GIDDY
- Wordle #806, Sunday 3 September: AWAIT
- Wordle #805, Saturday 2 September: ONION
- Wordle #804, Friday 1 September: SPACE
- Wordle #803, Thursday 31 August: BRIDE
- Wordle #802, Wednesday 30 August: AUDIO
- Wordle #801, Tuesday 29 August: CAPER
- Wordle #800, Monday 28 August: WRITE
- Wordle #799, Sunday 27 August: PEACE
- Wordle #798, Saturday 26 August: CHOIR
- Wordle #797, Friday 25 August: OCEAN
- Wordle #796, Thursday 24 August: WORDY
- Wordle #795, Wednesday 23 August: VERVE
- Wordle #794, Tuesday 22 August: SPICE
- Wordle #793, Monday 21 August: BEACH
- Wordle #792, Sunday 20 August: QUEST
- Wordle #791, Saturday 19 August: MAGMA
- Wordle #790, Friday 18 August: EXACT
- Wordle #789, Thursday 17 August: AMISS
- Wordle #788, Wednesday 16 August: SCRUB
- Wordle #787, Tuesday 15 August: INDEX
- Wordle #786, Monday 14 August: SNAKY
- Wordle #785, Sunday 13 August: WRATH
- Wordle #784, Saturday 12 August: QUICK
- Wordle #783, Friday 11 August: HELLO
- Wordle #782, Thursday 10 August: EMPTY
- Wordle #781, Wednesday 9 August: LOVER
- Wordle #780, Tuesday 8 August: BULLY
- Wordle #779, Monday 7 August: BROOK
- Wordle #778, Sunday 6 August: POLYP
- Wordle #777, Saturday 5 August: ANODE
What is Wordle?
If you’re on this page then you almost certainly know what Wordle is already, and indeed have probably been playing it for a while. And even if you’ve not been playing it, you must surely have heard of it by now, because it’s the viral word game phenomenon that took the world by storm last year and is still going strong in 2023.
We’ve got a full guide to the game in our What is Wordle page, but if you just want a refresher then here are the basics.
What is Wordle?
Wordle challenges you to guess a new five-letter word each day. You get six guesses, with each one revealing a little more information. If one of the letters in your guess is in the answer and in the right place, it turns green. If it’s in the answer but in the wrong place, it turns yellow. And if it’s not in the answer at all it turns gray. Simple, eh?
It’s played online via the Wordle website or the New York Times’ Crossword app (iOS / Android), and is entirely free.
Crucially, the answer is the same for everyone each day, meaning that you’re competing against the rest of the world, rather than just against yourself or the game. The puzzle then resets each day at midnight in your local time, giving you a new challenge, and the chance to extend your streak.
What are the Wordle rules?
The rules of Wordle are pretty straightforward, but with a couple of curveballs thrown in for good measure.
1. Letters that are in the answer and in the right place turn green.
2. Letters that are in the answer but in the wrong place turn yellow.
3. Letters that are not in the answer turn gray.
4. Answers are never plural.
5. Letters can appear more than once. So if your guess includes two of one letter, they may both turn yellow, both turn green, or one could be yellow and the other green.
6. Each guess must be a valid word in Wordle’s dictionary. You can’t guess ABCDE, for instance.
7. You do not have to include correct letters in subsequent guesses unless you play on Hard mode.
8. You have six guesses to solve the Wordle.
9. You must complete the daily Wordle before midnight in your timezone.
10. All answers are drawn from Wordle’s list of 2,309 solutions. However…
11. Wordle will accept a wider pool of words as guesses – some 10,000 of them. For instance, you can guess a plural such as WORDS. It definitely won’t be right (see point 4 above), but Wordle will accept it as a guess.